Here are some takeaways from the lesson:
- Justification did not start in the New Testament
- God is consistent. He was the same in the Old Testament as he is now.
- Abraham’s faith was credited to him as righteousness
- The Righteous Shall Live by Faith
- We are not made right by the works we do, but by our faith in Jesus Christ
- Luke 18:9-14, John 6:26-29, Hebrews 11:1
- Faith is believing in God and knowing his word is true.
- Then we must live our lives in accordance with those beliefs
- Abraham’s faith is credited to him before the sign of circumcision
- Circumcision was to be a sign of faith, not a giver of righteousness
- Righteousness imputed
- It is by Jesus’ righteousness that we are saved.
- He has given account on our behalf through faith, resetting our relationship with him and changing our trajectory.
- Philippians 3:9, Hebrews 11:6, Colossians 1:13
Additional Resources to consider:
Russell Moore | When Someone You Admire Does Something Disgusting
Matt Smethurst | 20 Quotes from a Mission’s Book that Every Pastor Should Read
Adam Graber | C.S. Lewis on Tech Addiction
Trevin Wax | The Missing Strand in Much of Our Discipleship